The GSI-2040 Fiber Optic Expander (FOE) was designed in conjunction with the GSI-2090 Fiber Optic Transmitter (FOT). The Fiber Optic Expander allows One RS 232 / RS 485 serial port or One Fiber Input to broadcast to Four Fiber Outputs. The expander boards are stackable through on board connectors allowing a single Input (Fiber or Serial) to broadcast to 4, 8, 12, or 16 Outputs or more.
The Fiber Optic Expander allows the running of Fiber Optic Cable in a Star Topology from the FOE. Communications to the FOE can be hard wired, fiber optic, radio, cellular, etc.
The circuit is constructed in modular form to allow the number of downstream ports to be increased in multiples of four. The circuits connect electricallyto add fiber optic downstream ports. There is no limit to the number of downstream ports other than the physical size of the assembly. Because the FOE is an active device (powered), there is no loss of light signal, thus, it is not necessary to consider the optical power budget.
The FOE enables the user to connect multiple fiber optic devices onto a fiber bus without expensive and complex connections. The FOE can be used as a Fiber Optic Modem, connecting two RS 232 / RS 485 devices over fiber cabling. The FOE can also be used to allow RS-232 devices, such as a serial analyzer to be connected to the fiber optic topology to monitor the data on the fiber optic cables, when both upstream and downstream ports are fiber.
- Star topology expander, i.e., One RS 232 or Fiber Optic Pair IN and 4, 8, 12, 16, or more Fiber Optic Pairs OUT (and vise versa)
- Distance: 10,000 feet (3,000 meters)
- Speed: Propagation delay of 0.05 microseconds, Baud rate 38,400
- Power requirements: 12Vdc / 25mA.
- Power Supply: 110/220/440 VAC, 24-48 VAC, 48 Vdc, or 12Vdc
- Power supply acts as light booster (Option: Solar powered)
- Provides a means of coupling multiple fiber optic transmitters to a star topology or single fiber pair or hard wired run, i.e., Interface.
GSI-2040 FOE Fiber Optic Expander Bulletin
For additional Technical Information Click Here